Trimester Schedule Information
SMHS has established a new trimester schedule to replace the block scheduling in use for the past few years. Like the block schedule, the trimster schedule provides extended class time, but at a more manageable 70 minutes. The concept of the trimester is not new; many high schools and colleges use the trimester system, including Mullen High school in Denver, our sister Lasallian school. We believe that this schedule will better support excellent academics at St. Michael's High School. Other benefits of this new schedule include daily class meetings and opportunity for remediation and credit recovery within the school year, which reduces the need for summer school. The schedule reduces scheduling conflicts with band, choir, and AP, allows for smaller class sizes, and does not require additional staff.
Sample Trimester Schedule:
7:30 - 8:25 a.m. Zero Hour (55 minutes/full year)
8:30 - 9:45 a.m. 1st Period (75 minutes)
9:50 - 11 a.m. 2nd Period (70 minutes)
11 - 11:45 a.m. Jr. High Lunch (45 minutes)
11:05 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. 3rd Period Sr. High (70 minutes)
12:15 - 12:55 p.m. Sr. high Lunch (45 minutes)
11:45 a.m. - 12:55 p.m. 3rd Period Jr. High (70 minutes)
1 - 2:10 p.m. 4th Period
2:15 - 3:30 p.m. 5th Period (75 minutes)
More information about the Trimester Schedule:
- There are three 60-day trimesters per school year--12 weeks each, or three calendar months.
- Students attend five 70-minute classes per day. (Teachers teach four of five.)
- A full-credit course is two trimesters.
- A half-credit course is one trimester.
- Some courses may meet for all three trimesters.
- Students earn 7.5 credits per school year (30 in four high school years).
- Exams are given at the end of each trimester.
- There is no change in the length of the school day or the school year.
- There is no change in our emphasis on the Lasallian core principles.
- Students prepare for five classes each week instead of eight.