Summer Reading Pre-AP 10th grade
TO: 2011-2012 SOPHOMORE PRE-AP ENGLISH STUDENTS
FROM: Ms. Bybee
RE: SUMMER READING LIST
Welcome to Summer 2012! You have completed another year of high school and now you are ready to relax. Me too. Summer is a time for fun AND LEARNING. (I know, it is hard to believe.) Reading is a joy and should be done for pleasure as well as for a grade. As a Pre-AP student, you will read a lot (novels, poetry, plays, short stories) and write plenty about your understanding of what you have read, what we discuss in class, and how each literary work enriches your life.
You are expected to READ the books that I assign throughout each trimester. During the summer, you are asked to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling, and Anthem, by Ayn Rand. Please read these books carefully and make notes in the books to help you address and consider the following:
- Basic plot summary for EACH CHAPTER (at least 2–4 sentences at the end of each chapter)
- Two global themes: life lessons and the why of the author’s purpose for writing the novel
- Underline/highlight major literary devices used throughout the texts (example: symbolism, metaphors, similes, foreshadowing)
- Character mapping: write a brief character study for EACH of the major characters in the books focusing on motivation, values, development, and function
- Choose four (4) quotes from each novel that illustrate your understanding of the books, and include their page numbers
These are your books; feel free to make notations, jot down your thoughts, use sticky notes. Be an active reader and allow the words on the page to come alive and draw you into the world created by the authors.
“Never be entirely idle; but either be reading, or writing, or praying, or meditating, or endeavoring something for the public good.” Thomas a Kempis (1380-1471)
I look forward to having you in my class.Ms. Bybee